Are you in need of some 4 or 5 year old birthday party ideas for boys and girls? I’ve got a ton of exciting and creative ideas suitable for girls and boys that will make their special day one to remember!
From a breakfast party filled with pancakes and waffles to an arty party where your little ones can explore their inner Picasso, I’ve got you covered.
So, get ready to throw the ultimate fifth birthday party, and let the fun begin!
- #1 Breakfast Party
- #2 Arty Party
- #3 Bug Party
- #4 Puppet Party
- #5 Princess Party Idea
- #6 Superhero Party Idea
- #7 Construction Party
- #8 Sports Party
- #9 Dinosaur Party
- #10 Pirate Party
- #11 Animal Party
- #12 Science Party
- #13 Carnival Party
- #14 Space Party
- #15 Movie Party
- #16 Slip ‘N Slide
- #17 Baking Party
- #18 Snow Party
- #19 Wheels Party
- #20 Firefighter Party
- #21 Monster Party
- #22 Magic Party
- More 5 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas
- Logistics for a 5-Year-Old Birthday Party
- Phew… How Many Ideas!
#1 Breakfast Party
If you’re looking for a unique theme for your child’s birthday party, a breakfast party is a great idea! Not only will it be fun and different, but it will also provide a variety of options for your breakfast menu.
➤ You can serve
- bacon, eggs,
- and even create a DIY cereal bar.
- colorful tablecloths,
- donut banners
- and plates to create a vibrant breakfast atmosphere.
➤ Games and Activities
- a pancake-eating contest
- or a cereal box tower challenge.
- You can design them to look like breakfast menus or use cereal boxes as envelopes.
➤ Party favors
- Give out mini cereal boxes or personalized breakfast recipe cards.
Your child’s breakfast party will surely be a hit with all the delicious food and fun activities!
**Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase after clicking a link, I may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
RELATED ARTICLE: Gift Ideas for 12-month-olds
#2 Arty Party
For an Arty Party, you’ll want to set up different art stations where guests can create their own masterpieces.
- Vibrant colors and art-themed decorations
- Hang up paintings and drawings to inspire creativity.
➤ When it comes to fun birthday games:
- Consider a drawing contest
- Or a collaborative mural where everyone can contribute.
➤ For party favors:
- Give out mini art supply kits, personalized with each guest’s name or initials.
➤ Birthday cake idea:
- why not go for a cake decorated like a painter’s palette?
- Use different colored frosting to replicate the paint colors.
➤ Send out creative party invitations
- perhaps in the shape of a paintbrush or palette, to get guests excited about the arty fun that awaits them!
#3 Bug Party
The Bug Party is a great birthday theme for kids who love all things creepy-crawly!
➤ To set the scene
➤ For bug-themed games, you could play
- ‘Pin the Wings on the Butterfly’
- or have a bug scavenger hunt where the kids search for different types of bugs hidden around the yard.
➤ As for snacks
- Make bug-shaped snacks like fruit kebabs with gummy worms or
- bug-shaped sandwiches.
➤ Craft ideas
- Have the kids make their own bug masks
- or decorate bug-shaped cookies.
➤ For bug-themed party favors
- Consider giving out bug catchers,
- bug stickers,
- or bug temporary tattoos.
With these ideas, your Bug Party is sure to be a hit with all the little bug lovers!
RELATED ARTICLE: Rainbow Birthday party supplies, all DIY!
#4 Puppet Party
Now, let’s plan a Puppetbirthday party theme with fun puppet shows and puppet-making activities for the kids to enjoy!
➤ Where to start
- Start by setting up a designated area where the puppet show will take place.
- Hang a colorful backdrop and use puppets to bring stories to life.
- Encourage the children to make their own puppets using materials like socks, paper bags, or craft sticks. Provide markers, googly eyes, and yarn for them to decorate their creations.
- Organize puppet games like ‘Guess the Puppet’ or ‘Puppet Charades’ to keep the excitement going.
- Set up a craft station where children can create puppet-themed crafts like paper plate puppets or finger puppets.
Don’t forget to decorate the party area with puppet-themed decorations like banners, balloons, and posters.
#5 Princess Party Idea
We should definitely include a princess-themed party with tiaras and a royal feast. It’s the perfect idea for your little one’s girl birthday celebration!
➤ Dress code
To make the party extra special, encourage all the guests to come dressed up as princesses. They can have so much fun pretending to be royalty and showing off their beautiful gowns and tiaras.
And what’s a princess party without a royal tea party?
- Set up a table with fancy teacups and serve delicious treats like finger sandwiches, scones, and cupcakes.
- You can even have a mini tea etiquette lesson, teaching the little princesses how to sip tea and hold their teacups like true royalty.
This princess party is sure to be an exciting and memorable experience for everyone!
#6 Superhero Party Idea
Now, let’s switch gears and talk about a thrilling and action-packed party theme: Superhero Party! If your child is a fan of superheroes, this is the perfect theme to make their birthday party unforgettable.
For example, my daughter is 4 years old, well almost 5, and superheroes are her favorite characters!
➤ Dress code
First, let’s start with the costumes. Encourage all the little guests to dress up as their favorite superheroes. This will make them feel like real crime-fighting heroes!
Next, let’s set the stage with superhero-themed decorations. Hang up posters of famous superheroes, and use colorful balloons and streamers to create a vibrant atmosphere.
For entertainment, plan some superhero party games like a
- ‘Save the City’ obstacle course
- or a Superhero Training Academy.
- These activities will keep the kids engaged and excited throughout the party.
➤ Party favors
As for party favors, consider giving out small capes or masks, so the guests can continue their superhero adventures even after the party ends.
My daughter once had a masked party and we made super simple paper masks for everyone! Here is our tutorial on how to make them!
And of course, there must be a superhero cake! Design a cake with their favorite hero, and watch their eyes light up when they see it.
With these ideas, your child’s superhero party will be a blast, filled with excitement and adventure!
Want to save this article for later?
RELATED ARTICLE: How to make a Skeleton Halloween party costume
#7 Construction Party
The construction party theme is a great choice for children who love building and pretending to be construction workers.
To create a fun and engaging atmosphere, you can incorporate various construction activities.
- Building with blocks or creating structures with cardboard boxes.
- Or, set up an obstacle course where kids can navigate through tunnels and climb over obstacles.
Decorate the party area with construction-themed decorations like:
- caution tape,
- construction cones,
- and tool belts.
A construction-themed cake would be a fantastic centerpiece, with designs like a bulldozer or a construction site.
➤ Party favors
Don’t forget construction themed party favors like mini tool sets or construction hats to make the little builders feel even more special.
With these ideas, your construction party is sure to be so much fun! I just love to organize outdoor birthday party ideas like this one. Kids will love it!
#8 Sports Party
For a sports party, you can set up different games and activities that kids can participate in.
Start by organizing some classic sports games like
- soccer, basketball, or relay races.
- You can even create a mini obstacle course for them to test their athletic skills.
➤ Dress code
To make it even more exciting, encourage the kids to dress up in their favorite team jerseys or sports attire.
Decorate the party area with sports-themed decorations, such as
- and posters of famous athletes.
For snacks, you can serve sports-themed treats like popcorn, pretzels, and mini hot dogs.
➤ Party favors
And to send the kids home with a little memento put together sports-themed goody bags filled with small sports toys or stickers.
I am sure boys and girls will love a sport themed birthday idea!
RELATED ARTICLE: Gift Ideas kids can make for someone’s birthday with clay
#9 Dinosaur Party
So, you’ve decided to throw a dinosaur party for your little one’s birthday! That’s a fantastic choice. Get ready to transport your guests back in time to the land of the dinosaurs!
To make the party truly dino-mite, let’s start with the decorations.
- Hang up some dinosaur banners,
- set up a dinosaur tablecloth,
- and scatter dinosaur figurines around the party area.
Now, onto the fun! Plan some dinosaur-themed games like a dino egg hunt or a fossil excavation.
➤ Dress code
Encourage the little ones to come dressed as their favorite dinosaurs, and don’t forget to dress up yourself!
To add to the excitement, serve a delicious dinosaur cake with a prehistoric design. You’ll find a great tutorial on how to make one yourself below.
➤ Party favors
And finally, send the guests home with dinosaur party favors like mini dinosaur toys or dinosaur-shaped cookies.
Your little paleontologist and their friends will have a roaring good time at this unforgettable dinosaur party!
#10 Pirate Party
Arr matey! Ready to set sail on an epic pirate adventure for your little one’s special day? Ahoy, me hearties!
Let’s start by talking about the perfect pirate costume for your little buccaneer.
- A striped shirt,
- a bandana,
- and an eye patch will instantly transform them into a swashbuckling pirate!
1. Every pirate themed party must have a treasure hunt!
- Hide some gold coins, jewels, and a treasure chest around your party area for the little pirates to find.
You can also have pirate-themed games like Pin the Patch on the Pirate or Walk the Plank.
Don’t forget to decorate your space with
- skull and crossbones banners,
- pirate flags,
- and a pirate ship backdrop.
➤ Food and drink
And for the ultimate pirate feast, serve up some
- ‘shark bait’ fruit skewers,
- ‘cannonball’ meatballs,
- and ‘Pirate’s Punch’
➤ Party favors
Send each pirate home with a loot bag filled with golden chocolate coins and pirate-themed trinkets.
Get ready for a jolly good time on the high seas!
#11 Animal Party
Younger kids will love to have an animal themed birthday party. Imagine them dressed as tigers, bears, kittens, or butterflies!
➤ Dress code
Ask kids to wear some fun animal masks. Animal costumes are a great way to bring the party to life and make it an unforgettable experience for your child and their friends.
To create a safari atmosphere, decorate the venue with safari-inspired decorations like animal prints and faux vines.
For entertainment, plan some animal themed games such as
- a ‘pin the tail on the lion’
- or a ‘duck, duck, goose’ game using animal names instead.
➤ Bonus idea
How about face painting? Hire a professional face painter to transform the kids into their favorite animals. This will make it one of the best 5th birthday party ideas!
#12 Science Party
To create a fun and educational science party, you can set up various stations where the kids can conduct experiments and learn about different scientific concepts. Science experiments are a great way to engage children and spark their curiosity.
➤ Experiment ideas
- One popular experiment is the DIY volcano, where kids can create their own miniature erupting volcano using simple household ingredients.
- Another fun activity is slime making, where children can learn about the properties of different substances while having a blast.
➤ Dress code
To add to the excitement, encourage the kids to dress up in a mad scientist costume, complete with goggles and lab coats.
Decorate the party area with science-themed decorations, such as beakers, test tubes, and planets.
With these ideas, your little scientist will have the best 5 year old birthday party ever!
#13 Carnival Party
For your carnival party, you can create a festive atmosphere by setting up colorful booths and games for guests to enjoy.
Fill the space with classic carnival games like
- a ring toss,
- balloon darts,
- and a bean bag toss.
To enhance the circus theme, decorate with colorful banners, balloons, and streamers.
Don’t forget the food! Set up a popcorn and cotton candy stand to satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth.
➤ Special guests
- For added fun, hire a face-painting artist to turn your guests into whimsical characters.
- And of course, no carnival party is complete without clown entertainment! Hire a professional clown to perform tricks, make balloon animals, and bring laughter to the celebration.
With these elements in place, your carnival party will be a hit and create lasting memories for all.
#14 Space Party
The space party will be out of this world with galactic decorations and astronaut-themed activities.
Transform your party space with space-themed decorations like
- hanging planets,
- starry backdrops,
- and astronaut cut-outs.
- To keep the little astronauts entertained, set up a DIY rocket craft station where they can create their own rockets using cardboard tubes and colorful paper.
- Create an astronaut dress-up corner with spacesuits, helmets, and mission patches for a fun photo op.
- For some high-flying fun, rent a moon bounce house where the kids can bounce around like they’re walking on the moon.
And to satisfy their cosmic cravings, serve galaxy-inspired snacks like
- star-shaped sandwiches,
- alien fruit skewers,
- and rocket-shaped cookies.
Your little space explorers will have a blast at this stellar celebration!
#15 Movie Party
Grab some popcorn and get ready for a movie night like no other! Hosting a movie-themed party is a fantastic idea for your upcoming celebration.
To set the mood, consider decorating your space with movie-themed decorations like
- film reels,
- Hollywood stars,
- and movie posters.
- You can also create a cozy atmosphere by setting up comfortable seating with blankets and pillows.
Send out movie-themed invitations to your guests, like tickets to a premiere or movie posters with all the party details.
For snacks, be sure to have classic movie treats like popcorn, candy, and soda.
To make the party even more entertaining, organize movie-themed games like a movie trivia contest or charades.
➤ Party favors
Finally, send your guests home with movie party favors, such as mini popcorn boxes or movie-themed keychains.
Get ready for a blockbuster party!
#16 Slip ‘N Slide
Now that you’ve considered a movie party, let’s dive into another exciting option for your backyard five-year-old’s birthday bash: a Slip ‘N Slide! This classic water game is sure to bring loads of outdoor fun and laughter to the celebration.
➤ What is a Slip ‘N Slide?
A Slip ‘N Slide is a long inflatable mat that you set up on your lawn. Simply attach a hose to it, and water sprays out, making it slippery. Kids can run and slide along the mat, splashing into a pool of water at the end. It’s a refreshing summer activity that will keep the little ones entertained for hours.
Not only is a Slip ‘N Slide a blast, but it also adds a unique element to your party. It’s a fantastic way to beat the heat and provide some cool entertainment for your guests.
I think this is one of the best backyard birthday party ideas, isn’t it?!
#17 Baking Party
Let’s gather in the kitchen for a baking or cooking party where we can whip up delicious treats together! Baking parties are a fun and interactive way to celebrate a special occasion.
To set the mood, you can decorate the kitchen with themed decorations like aprons, chef hats, and colorful baking utensils.
For the main activity, you can plan different baking activities such as making cookies, cupcakes, or even a small cake. Once the treats are baked and cooled, it’s time to get creative with cake decorating! Provide a variety of frosting, sprinkles, and edible decorations for everyone to use.
➤ Party favors
To make the party even more memorable, consider having party favors like
- mini recipe books
- or personalized aprons for each guest.
➤ Fun games
Incorporate baking games like
- a cupcake decorating contest
- or a blindfolded taste test.
Have a blast at your baking party!
#18 Snow Party
Don’t forget to bundle up and bring your favorite sled to the snow party for a day of winter fun! Get ready for an exciting celebration filled with snow games, winter decorations, a hot cocoa bar, snowflake crafts, and a snowman cake.
To start the party, set up a variety of snow games like
- snowball toss,
- snowman building contest,
- and snow angels competition.
- Let the kids get creative with snowflake crafts, where they can make their own unique designs.
Decorate the party area with snowflakes, icicles, and snow-themed banners to create a winter wonderland.
Warm up with a delicious hot cocoa bar, complete with marshmallows, whipped cream, and sprinkles.
Finally, top off the celebration with a snowman cake, a delightful treat that will surely bring smiles to everyone’s faces.
Enjoy the winter magic at this unforgettable snow party!
#19 Wheels Party
For the wheels party, be sure to bring your favorite skateboard or rollerblades for a day of outdoor fun!
To make the party extra special, decorate the venue with wheels-themed decorations like
- checkered flags,
- racing banners,
- and colorful balloons.
For the invitations, you can create your own using cardstock and stickers shaped like cars or skateboards.
And what’s a party without some delicious treats? Bake a car-shaped cake and decorate it with edible wheels.
➤ Party favors
For party favors, make DIY favor bags using small drawstring bags and decorate them with stickers or markers to match the theme.
And to keep the excitement going, set up race track games where the kids can compete in mini-races with their wheels.
After this race-themed party, your kid will be so worn out and sleep like a baby, LOL!
#20 Firefighter Party
Now, let’s switch gears and talk about a thrilling ‘Firefighter Party’ for your little one’s birthday! This theme is perfect for those brave and adventurous kids who dream of becoming firefighters.
➤ Dress code
To start off, encourage all the guests to dress up in firefighter costumes to set the mood.
Decorate the party area with fire truck decorations, like banners and balloons, to create an exciting atmosphere.
For some interactive fun, you can plan fire safety activities, such as
- teaching the kids how to ‘stop, drop, and roll’
- or conducting a fire drill.
- Another fantastic idea is to arrange a fire station tour, where the children can see real firefighters in action and learn about their heroic duties.
Serve firefighter-themed snacks, like ‘fire extinguisher’ water bottles or ‘flaming’ cupcakes.
This party will surely ignite the imaginations of your little firefighters!
#21 Monster Party
We all know how toddlers and young kids love monsters! Dont know why, but they do. So why not have a monster-themed party, right?!
- The monster party decorations should include spooky props, like fake cobwebs and creepy creatures, to create a frightening atmosphere.
- Hang the cobwebs in corners and drape them over furniture to give your party space an eerie vibe.
- Place some creepy creatures, like rubber spiders or bats, strategically around the room to surprise your guests.
For monster themed games, you can organize a ‘Pin the Eye on the Monster’ or a ‘Monster Freeze Dance.’
Serve monster themed food, such as
- ‘Monster Munch’ (a mix of pretzels, popcorn, and gummy worms)
- or make monster shaped cookies.
Send out monster themed invitations to get your guests excited.
➤ Party favors
Prepare monster-themed party favors, like mini monster figurines or monster masks, for everyone to take home.
Get ready to have a monstrously good time at your party!
#22 Magic Party
The Magic Party is one of the most unique 5 year old birthday party ideas where parents can call upon a skilled magician to perform tricks and magic. This enchanting and fun theme will surely captivate the birthday child and their friends, making their special day even more magical.
Apart from the magician’s performance, there are plenty of other fun ideas to enhance the party experience.
- One idea is to set up a magic show area complete with a stage, curtains, and props, where the boys and girls can also participate in simple tricks and illusions.
- Organizing a magic workshop where the kids can learn a few tricks themselves would be a delightful and interactive activity.
To make the party even more special, you can design personalized magic-themed invitations and provide magic-themed party favors.
Don’t forget to decorate the venue with enchanting props and decorations to create a truly magical ambiance.
With these ideas, the Magic Party will be a great birthday party for a 5-year-old that the kids will love and remember for years to come.
More 4 & 5 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas
#23 Fairy tale-themed party
– Dress up as characters from fairy tales, listen to fairy tales, and participate in fairy tale-themed activities and games.
#24 Tea party
- Dress up and enjoy a fancy tea party with cupcakes, finger sandwiches, and tea etiquette lessons.
#25 Lego-themed party
- Have a Lego building competition, play Lego-themed games, and enjoy creative Lego activities.
#26 Paw Patrol-themed party
- Dress up as Paw Patrol characters, and organize a rescue mission,
#27 Frozen-themed party
- Dress up as characters from Frozen, sing along to Frozen songs, and organize Frozen-themed crafts and games like painting, and drawing. Maybe print out some coloring pages from the movie.
#28 Jungle-themed party
- Learn about jungle animals, create jungle-themed crafts, and organize face painting.
#29 Farm-themed party
- Learn about farm animals, have a petting zoo, and participate in farm-themed games and activities.
#30 Safari-themed party
- Kids can participate in a variety of activities at a safari-themed party such as animal face painting, and treasure hunts.
#31 Mermaid-themed party
- Dress up as mermaids, swim in a pool, or have water activities. They can also make DIY mermaid crowns!
#32 Beach-themed party
- Set up a mini beach area with sand, and play beach games like volleyball or sand sculpting contest.
#33 Music-themed party
- Sing and dance along to kids favorite songs, have a karaoke session, and participate in music-themed games and activities.
#34 Teddy bear picnic party
- Bring teddy bears for a picnic, play teddy bear-themed games, and enjoy teddy bear crafts or drawing contest.
- Create rainbow crafts, make rainbow invitations, and enjoy rainbow-themed cakes. Here are some of my ideas for a rainbow kids party.
#36 Princess makeover party
- Have a princess makeover with makeup, nail painting, and dress-up, and participate in princess-themed activities like princess glittery tattoos for everyone, or a princess tea party.
#37 Outdoor adventure party
- Go on an outdoor adventure, participate in nature activities, and enjoy outdoor games and exploration.
#38 Under the sea-themed party
- Learn about marine life, create under-the-sea crafts, and participate in under-the-sea-themed games and activities.
#39 Transportation-themed party
- Learn about different modes of transportation, create transportation crafts, and participate in transportation-themed games.
#40 Garden or flower-themed party
- Learn about gardening and flowers, create flower crafts, and organize some seed planting in small pot kids can take with them and watch how it grows.
#41 Cowboy or cowgirl-themed party
- Dress up as cowboys or cowgirls, participate in western-themed games and activities, and enjoy cowboy-themed snacks.
#42 Hawaiian luau party
- Dress up in Hawaiian attire, participate in hula dancing, and enjoy Hawaiian dance competitions.
#43 Book character-themed party
- Dress up as favorite book characters, read books, and participate in book-themed crafts and games. Make kids fall in love with books again! Read the kids a short story, then show them the cartoon to discuss the difference.
#44 Fairy garden-themed party
- Create a fairy garden with plants and fairy accessories, participate in fairy-themed games and activities, and enjoy fairy-themed snacks.
#45 Super Mario-themed party
- Dress up as Super Mario characters, play Super Mario games, and don’t forget the Super Mario birthday cake.
#46 Minecraft-themed party
- Create a Minecraft world with blocks, play Minecraft-inspired games, and make Minecraft-themed invitations.
#47 Unicorn-themed party
- Dress up as unicorns, create unicorn crafts from clay, and decorate everything with unicorn balloons.
#48 Bubble party
- Create giant bubbles, and let kids run around in your backyard trying to catch them. Every kid would love that!
#49 Ballet-themed party
- Organize some basic moves and learning activities for little ballerinas. Play music, and let them dance away!
#50 Detective-themed party
- Organize some mystery-solving activities for little detectives with some clues around the house
#50 Yoga party
- Learn simple yoga poses, and try to make it fun, but also enjoyable for kids. Don’t forget the healthy snacks.
#51 Art museum party
- Visit a local art museum, and teach them the importance of art culture.
#52 Animal Rescue party
- Learn about endangered animals, and why it is important to save some animals.
#53 Rockstar party
- Dress up as rockstars, sing and dance to rock music. Make a stage and organize a karaoke party.
#54 Emoji-themed party
- Modern times and modern ideas, right?! Organize a face painting for kids and let them choose an emojy they wish to be painted in.
#55 Bowling party
- Go bowling with child-friendly lanes.
#56 Camping adventure party
- Create a cozy camping spot by pitching a tent and arranging a delightful marshmallow roasting session around the crackling fire.
#57 Ice cream party
- Create an ice cream stand catered to children, allowing them to select their preferred ice cream flavors. Consider implementing educational activities to teach kids how to make nutritious ice creams.
#58 Ninja Warrior party
- Create a challenging obstacle course tailored for young aspiring ninjas to navigate through.
Logistics for a 5-Year-Old Birthday Party
To ensure a smooth event, it’s important to plan the logistics for a 5-year-old’s celebration.
Start by creating a guest list of your child’s friends and their parents. Once you have an idea of how many people will be attending, you can choose a suitable party venue. Consider renting a local park or community center, or even hosting the party at your own home if space permits.
Next, think about party decorations that will create a festive atmosphere. Balloons, streamers, and a themed tablecloth can go a long way in setting the mood.
When it comes to party activities, keep in mind the age of the children. Simple games like musical chairs or pin the tail on the donkey are always a hit. There are many ideas counted above for each birthday theme.
4. Party favors
Finally, don’t forget about party favors. Small toys, stickers, or even personalized goody bags make great take-home gifts for the little ones.
With proper planning and attention to detail, your child’s 5th birthday party is sure to be a memorable and enjoyable event for everyone involved.
Phew… How Many Ideas!
So there you have it, a variety of fun and exciting 4 & 5 year old birthday party ideas! But I am sure these ideas would suit a 6 year old, or a 7yo, or all small kid ages!
Whether you choose a breakfast party, arty party, bug party, puppet party, princess party, monster party, or pirate party, your little one is sure to have a great time.
Remember, the most important thing is to have fun and create lasting memories for your little one. Happy party planning!