Your baby started to walk. The first thing you ask yourself is: What shoes to buy for a baby learning to walk? What are the best walking shoes for toddlers? In my previous article, I explained why first walkers should wear soft-soled shoes. Once you read that and know all the facts it is time to choose the best first-step shoes for your baby or toddler. These opinions are solely based on my personal experience, and the shoes we have tried.
Best Pre-Walking Baby Shoes
The best pre-walking baby shoes are – to be barefoot. Just provide socks or booties for warmth, but besides that, barefoot is your no.1 choice. Once they start standing on their feet it is good they have sock-slippers with leather sole to have a better grip
Here is my suggestion on what kind of shoes for a baby learning to walk is the best based on my own experience, a lot of research, and what we have tried.
Best Brands for Baby’s First Shoes:
Brand no.1 – Mocciss
- My daughter loved these, and even her younger sister inherited them. They are really like barefoot, and you can use them as pram shoes, for the crawling phase, learning to walk, and confident walking. They are amazing!
- Moccis are the first and only luxury hand-sewn Swedish moccasins to bring fashion, function, and fun to indoor footwear worldwide. Their clients include A-list celebrities such as Victoria Beckham, Rita Ora, Sienna Miller, Claudia Schiffer, Jamie Oliver, and many more.
- Their sock slippers for kids are made of natural Oeko-Tex-certified materials.
- The finishing touches are even made by hand.
- The non-slip leather moccasin sole is durable and flexible, allowing children’s feet to move freely and muscles to develop whilst ensuring no slips and falls.
- The sewed-in double elastic at the ankle ensures that the Moccis stays on, even on the smallest of feet.
- These are suitable from first standing up and crawling…. till whenever you prefer.
- They even have adult models.
Brand no.2 – Bobux
- My daughter loved them, and later on her sister too! A great choice for healthy foot development shoes. We had trainers, and sandals, their design, and quality are amazing. One important thing is they do run a bit bigger in sizing.
- With 30 years of experience in making adorable and perfectly shaped shoes for all kids’ ages, Bobux is loved and worn by children in over 40 countries around the world.
- For first walkers, you can choose from Xplorer or Step Up collection. We used Xplorer for cruising around the house and Step Up for outside.
- Bobux works closely with some of the world’s leading podiatrists and foot health experts in everything they do. Here’s what they have to say.
Brand no.3 – Collegien
- These were our favorite slippers for years! So comfortable, and flexible. you won’t regret it if you buy these. Once my kids outgrew them, they were the only ones I couldn’t pass on. I just had to keep them as a memory. So precious!
- Collégien is a much-beloved brand from France that manufactures iconic slipper socks.
- Free of phthalates and other toxic products
- Oeko-Tex certified
- Soft and comfortable
- Non-slip and micro-ventilated sole
- Comfort sole
- Machine washable
- Collégien also offers men’s, women’s, and kids’ socks, slipper socks, tights, and knitted accessories.
Brand no.4 – Pediped
- One more great choice for your kid’s little feet! The highest quality, soft, flexible, and has a lovely design. We loved our Pediped shoes!
- They offer 3 stages system: Originals for first steps, Grip n Go for toddlers who go 30 steps independently, and Flex for confident walkers.
- Pediped shoes have been officially recognized by the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) as being beneficial for children’s growing feet.
- They use the highest quality leather.
- Slip-resistant soles.
- The soles on Grip ‘n’ Go™ are a thin, natural rubber that provides an ideal level of protection and flexibility.
- Flex® soles are also made of natural rubber to allow maximum flexibility.
Brand no.5 – Hatley Rain Boots
What about rainy days? Should toddlers wear wellies? Of course! A good fit and the right choice are not going to harm those little feet if worn for a short period of time. They should be dry and safe on their way to daycare, or while jumping in puddles for half an hour.
We have tried many rain boots, but the best soft and lightweight rain boots for toddlers in my experience are Hatley rain boots. They are:
- Soft, and foldable sole
- Amazing design that kids love
- They offer matching rainwear for a full rainy-day outfit
- You can even choose sherpa lining models to keep them warm are also available
Here is my short video on Hatley boots, so you can see how soft they really are!
Yes, we have tried all of these soft kids’ shoes!
I do believe there are many more great first-walker shoes. But we have tried these, and vouch for their amazing quality and comfort. To show you that we tried them all, here is a little gallery of my kids wearing these best shoes.
How to Measure Toddlers Shoe Size
- My best advice on buying toddler shoes is to take the washed insole of the shoes that your kid outgrew. That way you can place it into the shoes at the store and estimate if the shoe is the right size.
- You should know that the difference between one whole size is only about a half-inch (less than 1 centimeter).
- Differences in sizing among brands can be quite frustrating. This way you will know exactly what size to buy.
- If the insole you took is the one your kid outgrew, you should look for the one about a half-inch bigger.