If you are about to be a second-time mom, it’s natural to wonder what to buy for a second baby. While some things may be reused from your first child, there are still some essentials you’ll need to purchase. The good news is that you won’t need to buy everything all over again, but there are some items you’ll want to consider adding to your list.
As a mom of two, I know how much easier it is for a second time around. We are smarter, more experienced, and can hardly be fooled like the first time. But still, we need experience from a mom of two, right?!
It’s important to think about what items you’ll need to make the transition as smooth as possible.
To make the process of shopping for must-haves easier, it’s helpful to have a checklist of items you need. By taking the time to research and plan ahead, you can ensure that you have everything you need to welcome your second child into your home.
** DISCLAIMER: This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may earn a small commission if you buy something via my links. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I always support only products that I truly love and use.
Essentials to Buy for Second Baby
As a second-time mom, I know that every baby is different, and even if you have all the baby gear from your first child, you may need to buy some new items for the second baby. Here are some things to consider when preparing for your second child:
While you may have saved some of your first child’s clothes, keep in mind that your second baby may have different needs.
- if your first child was born in the summer, but your second child is due in the winter, you definitely need to buy warmer clothing.
- If you have a boy and your first baby was a girl, you may need to buy some new clothes that are appropriate for a boy.
I am sure you will find useful some new:
- Special occasion outfits
I breastfed my firstborn for 3.5 years, so I really needed some new nursing clothes for my secondborn.
- Look for nursing bras, tops, and dresses that are made from soft, stretchy materials and have easy access for nursing.
- You may also want to consider purchasing a nursing cover for when you’re out in public.
- Nursing pads.
- Nursing Pillow – Oh how we loved our Boppy Pillow!!
- Don’t forget to buy a breast pump if you plan to pump milk. I had the luck that I didn’t need it for my firstborn, but I really found it useful a second time around!
If you plan to bottle-feed your second baby, you’ll likely need to buy new :
- and nipples.
Did your firstborn sleep in a crib? Or with you? Did he/she have many night accidents?
- If your firstborn had many nighttime accidents, you might want to consider a new mattress or bedding
- Additionally, you may need to buy a new baby monitor if your first one is no longer working.
- You will need to buy diapers and wipes for your second baby.
- How is your old diaper bag holding? Maybe it is time for a new one. Maybe bigger one?
- Check your changing pad
- Consider a changing table if you didn’t have one for your first child
- Diaper rash cream
While you may have saved some of your first child’s gear, such as a stroller or car seat, keep in mind that your second child may have different needs. For example, your firstborn may still be using his stroller – it’s a 2 under 2 must have
- You might consider a double stroller
- Feeding high chair if the older one is still using his
- Baby carrier: A baby carrier is a great way to keep your baby close while still being hands-free. Check out the Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby Carrier for a comfortable and versatile carrier. I just loved baby carriers while they were so small!
This time buy smarter than the first time. Make everything organic and from natural materials, especially if your child puts everything in their mouth. What kid doesn’t do that, right?!
- Teething toys
- Wooden toys for babies
- Musical toys
You may also want to buy some new toys and books to keep your first child entertained while you take care of your second child.
Stock up on
- Baby shampoo, (use mild, organic shampoo, safe for your baby)
- Baby bathtub.
Baby Registry Essentials for Second-Time Moms
Creating a registry can be helpful for both the expectant parents and their loved ones. It ensures that the parents receive the items they need for their baby, and it also makes it easier for gift-givers to choose something that the parents actually want or need.
Many stores offer discounts or free gifts for creating a registry with them.
You can use the list provided above to make your second baby registry, or you can use it as an idea of what to buy for a friend’s second baby as a gift!
Unique Gift Ideas for Second Baby
If you’re looking for unique gift ideas for your friend’s second baby, here are a few suggestions:
- Personalized baby blanket – A soft and cozy blanket with the baby’s name embroidered on it can make a lovely and thoughtful gift.
- Baby carrier – A baby carrier can be a great gift for a mom who wants to keep her hands free while carrying her baby. There are many different types of carriers available, so do some research to find one that would work well for your friend.
- Personalized baby book – Look for a baby book that allows you to add the baby’s name and other details, such as birth date, weight, and length.
- Subscription box – There are many subscription boxes available that cater specifically to new parents and babies. You could consider gifting a subscription that delivers new and unique baby products each month.
- Gift certificate for a meal delivery service – With a new baby in the house, cooking can become a challenge. A gift certificate for a meal delivery service can be a thoughtful and practical gift that will be greatly appreciated.
- Nursing pillow – A comfortable nursing pillow can be a great gift for a breastfeeding mom. Look for one that is adjustable and can be used in different positions.
- Baby gym – A baby gym is a colorful and interactive play mat that can help stimulate a baby’s senses and promote development. Look for one that has different textures, sounds, and toys.
- Baby carrier cover – If your friend lives in a colder climate, a baby carrier cover can be a useful and practical gift. This is a cover that can be attached to a baby carrier to keep the baby warm and protected from the elements.
- Baby monitor – A high-quality baby monitor can provide peace of mind for parents if they didn’t use it for the first time. Look for one that has video capabilities, night vision, and two-way audio.
- White noise machine – even though there are many available to buy, you can find more ideas on how to soothe a crying baby on my recent blog
- Personalized growth chart – A growth chart that is personalized with the baby’s name and birth details can be a unique and meaningful gift that will be treasured for years to come.
- Personalized wall art – Look for wall art that can be personalized with the baby’s picture, name, or initials. This could be a canvas print, a framed print, or even a wooden sign.
- Personalized onesie or outfit – Look for a onesie or outfit that can be personalized with the baby’s name or a cute phrase. This could be a great gift for a baby shower or to welcome the new baby home.
- Gift card at your friend’s favorite baby store. They are always a great gift idea, especially for second babies.
- Baby sleep aid, such as a white noise machine or swaddle blanket
- Baby-proofing items, such as outlet covers and cabinet locks
- Baby gym – I didn’t have one for the first time. Wish someone gave me one on my baby shower party.
- Baby teething toys – Most of the old ones are not reusable, LOL.
- Sleeping sack if mom didn’t use it for the first time
- Baby travel accessories for a family that travels a lot, such as a portable changing mat or car seat travel bag
- Baby feeding set – My kids are 3 years apart. I still had to buy new plates and a feeding set, because my older one didn’t want to give up on hers.
- Baby Vac – Nasal aspirator – This was one of the gifts I got for my second baby. It is really one of the best and useful gifts I got!
Remember, when choosing a gift for a second baby, it’s important to consider what the parents already have from their first baby. Try to choose something that is unique and thoughtful, and that will be useful for the new addition to the family. Remember – a non-toy gift is always a better choice!
Additional Services for 2nd-Time Moms
As a second-time mom, I know how overwhelming it can be to prepare for the arrival of another baby. That’s why I highly recommend taking advantage of additional services that can make your life easier during this exciting but busy time.
One of the best gifts you can receive as a second-time mom is the gift of babysitting. As much as we love our little ones, it can be challenging to juggle the needs of a newborn with the demands of an older child. Having someone you trust to watch your older child while you tend to the baby can be a game-changer.
Consider asking a family member or close friend to watch your older child for a few hours a week, or hire a professional babysitter to help out. You can also look into local mommy groups or parenting forums to find other moms who may be interested in a babysitting swap.
Capturing those precious first moments with your new baby is something you’ll cherish for a lifetime. Consider hiring a professional photographer to take newborn photos of your little one and your family. They can capture beautiful, timeless images that you’ll treasure forever.
You can also invest in a high-quality camera and take your own photos. Look for resources online or take a photography class to learn how to take stunning photos of your little one.
Taking advantage of additional services like babysitting and photography can make life as a second-time mom a little bit easier. Consider these services as you prepare for the arrival of your new bundle of joy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you give a gift for a second baby?
Yes, it’s always a nice gesture to give a gift for a second baby. While the family may already have some items from their first child, they may still need new or additional items. Some great gift ideas for a second baby include baby clothes, diapers, wipes, a baby carrier, or a white noise machine.
What can you not reuse for a second baby?
While many items can be reused for a second baby, there are some items that should not be reused. These may include car seats, breast pumps, and pacifiers. It’s important to check the expiration date on car seats and to replace them if they have expired or been in an accident.
Should I create a registry for the second baby?
Creating a registry for a second baby can be helpful, especially if you’re having a baby shower or if friends and family want to give gifts. It’s a good idea to include items that you may need for your second child, such as diapers, wipes, clothes, and new or additional baby gear. Amazon has a great selection of baby items that you can add to your registry.
What are some second-baby must-haves?
Some second baby must-haves may include a double stroller, a baby carrier, a white noise machine, and a diaper pail. It’s also important to have plenty of diapers, wipes, and baby clothes on hand. Additionally, a baby swing or bouncer can be helpful for soothing a fussy baby.
What are some second-baby hacks?
Some second baby hacks include setting up a diaper changing station on each floor of your home, using a sound machine to drown out the noise from older siblings, and using a baby carrier to keep your hands free while tending to your older child. It’s also helpful to establish a routine for both children, such as nap and bedtime schedules.