All kids love Play-Doh, right? But it can be a bit too expensive activity for one afternoon, especially when they just leave it out to dry out. So, I started to wonder – How do you make simple playdough? Can I think of a cheap Play-Doh alternative? In the end, the most simple playdough turns out to be low-budget, and quick, and kids love it!
Don’t have the time now? Pin for later!
Play Dough Easy Recipe
Every time I was making homemade bread, my girls loved me to be involved. I don’t know why, but kids are so thrilled with getting those little hands all dirty and messy. So one day I decided, while making dough for my bread, to make peace for them. It turned out the best idea ever.
When we buy some playdough or get it as a gift, my girls just say: ˝Mummy, we want your playdough!˝
RELATED ARTICLE: Small canvas painting ideas for kids
Only 3 Ingredients for our Playdough:
- Flour – the amount depends on how much you want to make
- A little bit of oil
- Food color – Optional
How to make this Fake Play-Doh
- Place the flour into a bowl
- Add water and oil
- Start kneading as you are making bread
- Let them knead the playdough at the beginning, but later on do ti yourself to make it nice and smooth. Don’t make it too hard, it needs to be soft and easy to play with
- Separate it into pieces and add some food coloring.
- Once we didn’t have any, so I left one without color and in the other, I added some cocoa powder. It turned out great, Two great contrasts… And it smelled great too ;-).
- When they are done playing, place it in a plastic bag – that way it can last for a day or two. Otherwise, it will start to dry out within half an hour. After two days you have to throw it away…. it smells weird, so it`s no good.
In case your kids make some lovely shapes you wish to keep, just let it dry, and when it hardens it can last for years. It is a great idea for a Christmas gift. On that subject, I am preparing a new tutorial soon.
How to store this homemade Play Dough?
Place it in aluminum foil if you want to use it again. Otherwise, it will start to dry within half an hour.
How long does flour play dough last?
Your kid can play with it for two days if it is properly stored. But after two days it starts to smell, and you have to throw it away.
Is it better than the Play Dough with the salt?
I don’t think so. The one with the salt is better for ornament-making or keepsakes. But this one if made properly, and soft it will be great for kids’ playtime. My kids prefer it offers real Play-Doh. We have a blog on salt Play Doh too, so go ahead and read if you wish.
Is this Play-Doh Alternative Toxic?
Nooo! It’s made from all edible ingredients, and your kids can safely play with it for hours!
And we are done…
Do you like our idea? What are your favorite activities on a rainy day? What entertainment for kids do you have up your sleeve? Do you have some kinetic sand or another cheap Play-Doh alternative? Share with me… I am always searching for fresh ideas.
More Crafting Ideas for Your Kids
- Easy Kinetic Sand Recipe
- How to make a toilet paper roll bracelet
- Design an old boring collage photo frame