POSTPARTUM WEIGHT LOSS.…oh, how many times I`ve googled this phrase. But eventually managed to find my own way 🙂. You can lose weight with some effort, a strong will, and these three steps.
I have two girls, 5 and almost 2 years old. With each pregnancy gained 50 lbs, so I had a total of horrible 200 lbs. A lot! And I must say there hasn’t been any overeating. I had developed hypothyroidism during my first pregnancy and it had a lot to do with the weight gain.
After the first pregnancy, I did lose weight quite quickly. Within 1 year I had 159 lbs and had 10 more to lose. By the time she was 1.5 years old, I did it. With actually not much effort. Thought it was due to breastfeeding. They say you lose postpartum fat fast while nursing.
The second time around I got pregnant my scale was at 152 lbs and that was 6 more than the first time, to begin with. I imagined it would be like the last time….. But I wasn’t that lucky. Lost the first 33 lbs easily… and then… a total blockage. There was no way to move a bit for one year. Just wanted to cry every time I looked at myself in the mirror, and the photographs… oh, they were killing me. My head was like a balloon, and my eyes while smiling like two minuses… :-). Check the pic below 😉
Wake Up Moment – the Postpartum Weight Loss Mission!
Then we all had the flu… the 4 of us. It was difficult with the little kids, and we, the adult ones couldn’t get out of bed. Anyway, we somehow got through it, with the help of essential oils, of course, and when we got better I was sure I lost weight. You know how everyone always says: ˝Lost 10 lbs during the flu…˝ but I didn’t lose one bit….not one!!! It was so frustrating. That’s when I said: ˝That’s it, I am gonna make it no matter what!!˝
So, I did find my own recipe for postpartum weight loss…Here`s what did the job for me… Just follow my 3 tips. I know we are all different, but maybe it will work for you as well.
#1 16:8 INTERMITTENT FASTING
It’s pretty simple actually. You fast for 16 hours and can eat for 8 hours. You can set it up as it suits you. For me, it’s perfect to eat dinner at 7 pm, and in the morning breakfast at 11 am. It is hard in the beginning, but after a week or so, you will be ok, and your body will soon adjust.
Be careful, don’t overdo it during those 8 hours… Try to eat as healthy and balanced as you can. Read more HERE.
An intermittent fasting diet has a lot of benefits for our body besides losing weight:
- it lowers blood pressure
- prevents diabetes 2
- some cancers
- neurodegenerative diseases
- And the great one….. It prolongs our life span!!!
If you do have some health conditions you should check if it’s good for you before you start. For example, I do have low blood pressure but it doesn’t bother me.
#2 WHEY PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS
This one did the best trigger for me. I was questioning myself… What can get me off of this static point? Suddenly I remembered that every time a steak is on the menu, I lost a pound or two. So, figured out that the proteins are maybe my golden fish! Did some google research on proteins and how they work. I thought that is just for athletes.
Benefits from whey protein:
- increases your strength
- you gain muscle and lose a significant amount of body fat
- it is loaded with nine essential amino acids
- human breast milk is 60% whey, compared to 20% in cows milk
- if you are exercising, you should consume it during or right after a workout
- reduces the desire for late-night snacking
- it boosts metabolism and reduces appetite
- it’s rich in cysteine, which raises levels of the antioxidant glutathione and leads to many health benefits
- protects from osteoporosis
- consult your MD if you have kidney or liver issues
First I googled them all sorts… and decided to go with the whey protein. Then I did the research on the brands, I wanted to go with reliable products.
Read more about Whey Protein here.
These are the ones that I used (not saying there aren`t better ones):
- Whey Protein Gold Standard – Optimum Nutrition
- Protein Gold Whey – Weider
Decided to take it in the morning. Put it in goat milk, blend it, and drink it. It’s really tasty! I took chocolate, but there are all sorts of flavors.
** *Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission. I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. Thanks!
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING…. IT REALLY KEEPS YOU FULL FOR A LONG TIME! I take it at 11 am and don’t have to eat by 3 pm.
The results came right away! The first month I lost 6.5 lbs, second another 6,5, third 2,5…it slowed down. But ok, let’s face it, my goal is to lose about 20 – 25 lbs, and it is always the hardest to take off the last 8 – 10 lbs. And to be honest… When the scale got under 150 I did a mistake and loosened up a bit. Just being human. Everyone told me how good I looked so I felt better about myself and wasn’t as careful as in the beginning. The most important thing for me was that I started to feel like Me again.
RELATED: HOW TO SURVIVE THE WITCHING HOUR FOR BABIES
This is how my day usually looks:
- I get up around 9 am and have my coffee. The fasting 16:8 tutorial says that during 16 hours you can drink water, unsweetened tea, or coffee. I cheat a bit here because I put a bit of sugar and milk in my coffee.
- 11 pm I take my protein shake…. Yummy…
- Around 3 or 4 pm I have my lunch, and ladies, I must confess it to you… AT LUNCHTIME I EAT! I mean I eat like the rest of my family, but I don’t make myself a diet meal. We all eat together whatever we prepare.
- It depends on when I have lunch, but if it was around 3 am I drink some smoothie around 7 pm, but if it’s a late lunch…around 6 pm, then I don’t eat after.
#3 OOLONG TEA TO LOSE WEIGHT
Oolong tea is my favorite beverage during the day. I make 25 ounces in the morning and drink it throughout the day. My recipe is to make it mild, let’s say a dose for two cups, I put in 25 ounces. Then I reuse it and make a new one. (will explain the reusing part later on). No sugar or anything, and it really tastes great. It’s actually the same plant as black or green tea, but the difference is in the way the tea is processed.
Oolong tea has some great benefits for our health:
- It activates thermogenesis in the body to increase fat burning
- Improves heart health
- Prevents diabetes and high blood pressure
- Improves brain function and mood ( not only we will be fit, but smart also J
- Prevents some cancers
- Promotes tooth and bone strength
- Relieves eczema
About the dosage, some say you can drink 10 cups a day, some say 3. I drink around 4 but really mild.
Some have trouble sleeping after it, so if it bothers you don’t drink in the evening.
And the great thing I can tell you… You can reuse the leaves! It’s traditionally steeped multiple times, producing new flavors with each subsequent brew. You can reuse it 3 – 5 times- That’s great news because it is sometimes hard to find it and it is not cheap at all. When bought it for the first time I didn’t know this… Oh, how sorry I was for all the tea that got thrown away!
How to prepare oolong tea:
- For a cup of water, use 1 teaspoon if the tea is rolled into balls and up to 2 tablespoons if it has large open leaves
- Heat the water to 180°F – 200°F
- Steep the tea from 1 to 5 minutes
- After re-steeping the tea add 1-2 minutes to the original steeping time. And so for each additional steep until the flavor is exhausted
- The important thing is that it should be re-steeped within a couple of hours. Moisture and oxidation are their biggest enemy. So I do make more one after another, but my partner drinks it also with me
This is the one I prefer – Taiwan High Mountain Oolong tea
If you wish, read more about Oolong Tea HERE.
Some Motivational Quotes for Weight Loss
So, basically, that’s it! With this technique, I lost 15 lbs in 3 months. That`s a great result! I guess postpartum weight loss can be done when your mind is willing ;-).
Now I just have to make myself not cheat to lose some more…
You will be updated…
Oh yes, one more thing… I must be honest and say there wasn’t any workout. My girls keep me fit ha-ha… They are both like the Tasmanian devil and keep me going all day. But that too will change, because I do miss the workout. My back would really appreciate some … I Will do it, I promise….
Hope this will help you! Write to me, tell me was this helpful for you? Do you ladies have some tricks up your sleeve?
Love you all…. And of course…
WE ARE STRONGER THAN WE ALL THINK!
You May Also Enjoy Reading:
- How to soothe a crying baby – The Witching Hour
- How to paint your kid’s room walls? It`s quite easy, you know 🙂
- Roughhousing with your kids? You must try this, there are so many benefits for your kids
- Chores for your kids by age
- Healthy meals for Picky Eaters
Great results. Congrats! IF and proteins do work wonders for weight loss. So as having active kids 🙂
Thank you Natalie! Yes, proteins have so important role in losing weight. Glad you enjoyed my story. Hope to hear from you again🤗
That’s a good piece of advice for pregnancy weight loss. Thanks for sharing.